You may be aware of the risk of button batteries but did you remember that it includes Hearing Aid batteries.
I am sure you don’t personally try to eat the batteries (I can assure you that even earwax tastes better and celery has less calories) but what about the people who are occasionally in your domain? Do you grandkids have the habit of wandering around your house and just picking things up? Does the dog crawl under the bed and find the things you dropped? Does someone in your life have dementia and occasionally do things they shouldn’t?
Due to recent deaths from ingesting button batteries, some hearing aid models can have tamper proof battery doors installed but the main issue is that you then need to have good eyesight and dexterity to use the tool to open the tamper proofing (and the patience).
Instead, we recommend keeping your hearing aids and batteries in a more tamper proof environment. For example don’t leave packets of batteries on the bedside table and keep them in a click lock Tupperware container which is harder for kids under 3 to open (and is therefore not worth their time so they move on). If you are staying over in grandkids house, make sure the hearing aids are put away when not in your ears and don’t sit on the table beside you. Explain to children over 3 why they shouldn’t touch your hearing aids or batteries as they are valuable personal items and not toys.
Signs of battery ingestion are very hard to spot and the caustic soda produce when the are ingested will eat through the oesophagus and stomach walls and then destroy artery walls causing sudden and often irreversible damage within hours. Don’t stop using your hearing aids but please respect button batteries before it is too late.